Friday 18 February 2011

Friend Friday - Does My Bum Look Big In This?

This week's Friend Friday questions are all about the dreaded 'body image'. So, I've decided to face mine head-on and have chosen some outfit pics that previously have not made the cut. Eek!

1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?
I'd have to say 'No'. I think I have a pretty well balanced body image. I was always a plump child, then a chubby teenager, resulting in an overweight young adult (about a size 16). About 6 years ago I decided to do something about it and dropped 3 dress sizes in a little over a ye
ar. I was chubby because I ate too much and exercised too little. Now, I eat in moderation (most of the time!) and I make sure I get enough exercise to maintain a healthy, average weight. It's not easy, but the benefits of feeling pretty good about my body far outweigh having to swap burgers for soup at lunchtime etc. Blogging hasn't changed how I feel about how I look, but I'm not sure I'd be posting photos of myself if I didn't feel pretty confident in my own skin. To be honest, I doubt there's any outfit blogger out there that has real problems with their body image.

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?
Of course I'm self-conscious about bits of my body - my saddlebags and back fat are of particular note, as is my rippling cellulite and 'cankles'. I don't go out of my way to avoid them, but I don't want to bang on about them. They are there, they are part of who I am and I doubt they'll be going anywhere soon...

The dreaded cankles!

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body image?
I'm looking forward to the future. I think I get more and more confident each year, although I'm sure there's a turning point out there when it all comes full circle and every year I find another wrinkle etc.

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you’re having your picture taken?
Awkward. That's how I feel. Like a bit of plum. Standing there pulling ridiculous shapes only to sift through the results thinking "Do I really look like that?" Usually my problem is with my 'glaikit' expression, rather than my body, pose or outfit. Somehow I always look vacant or
I have a huge cheesey grin on my face. I need to learn how to SMEYES!

Glaikit!

Glaikit and back fat!

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart?

Get used to it! Is that a bit harsh?? We ALL struggle with body image and unless you have a medical condition (such as body dismorphia), I'm afraid that it's just part of life. I'm not going to say "just think of all the other things that are good about you" or something similar, because when you're standing in front of the mirror, frozen to the spot because you just can't see past that one, bad part of yourself, you can't concentrate on the positive. We've all been there. Instead, you need to find ways of coping with the crazy thoughts - starting with thinking about others. If you throw a strop and refuse to go to the party because your arse looks huge tonight, who else are you letting down? Who have you just put on a downer because you've thrown a flakey? Get used to your flaws, keep your 'problems' to yourself and move on.

I will now attempt to heed my own advice as I huff and puff around the flat pulling on a hundred different outfits, whinging that "I've got nothing to wear! I look shit in that!" while poor Mr G sits quietly on the couch trying to give advice that will not rock the fragile boat any further.

We're off out to a pal's birthday bash - let the huffing and puffing commence!

Oufit post this weekend - providing the back fat can be cunningly disguised!

3 comments:

  1. REALLY digging the outfit in the last photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! Wish you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post!!
    And I agree with Erin. You look fab! The bow in your hair totally sets off the look.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...