Sunday 12 June 2011

Mondrian And Rothko Had A Fight In My Close

Striped cotton dress by South from the Very Shop // Pamela Mann mustard tights // Melissa rocking horse shoes // red bandana

Piet Mondrian, Composition A, 1923

Mark Rothko, Violet, Black, Orange, Yellow on White and Red, 1949







Glasgow saw about five minutes of sunshine yesterday before the lashing rain started again, so I took the opportunity to throw on this fantastic striped dress from the Very Shop. In the 15 minutes it took for me to actually get ready, it had started - hence the brolly.

I love the print on this dress, it looks like Mark Rothko has had a fight with Mondrian (it also appears to match the 'decor' in our close!) It's a good length for me, although an extra inch wouldn't go amiss - to hide my chubby knees! I find it really hard to find skirts that sit just below my knees. I'm 5'6" but have short legs and a long back - like a duck ;) I suppose wearing mustard tights and shoes with chunky ankle straps is a no no for me - Trinny and Susannah would have a fit - but I've never been very good at dressing for my shape.

I chose this dress because it was super bright and colourful - pushing me out of my comfort zone a little, but the wee splash of black served as a comfort blanket at the same time. It's 98% cotton with a little stretch - perfect fabric for holidaying in. Only downside is the sizing. I'm a bog standard 10, but this dress is pretty generous, especially around the bust and waist - maybe that's an upside?? I do like a little room, especially if I'm wearing it in the heat. Mr G and I are hoping to book a holiday to Sitges, Spain in August. It'll be hot, hot, hot, and I reckon this wee number will be perfect for a cheeky night out sipping sangria in a bar in Barcelona. A bit of fake tan and my white wedges and I'm sorted!

This post was in association with Very.co.uk

10 comments:

  1. Give me a good splash of colour any day of the week, this outfit looks great on you!

    Sleekit x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also own those shoes! Aren't they amazing?! And they smell so good :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So brave, but if anyone could pull it off, it's you! For a second I thought you had gotten rid of the ginger and gone blonde! Have you actually ever been blonde? Also how do you do your messy updos?! They always look so perfect and I love the red bandana too! .x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how your legs blend in with the walls of your close! I like the yellow paint, it's a nice change from the usual cracked tiles and dark paint you see in a Glasgow close.
    The colours in the dress are really lovely, and they go so well with your light hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love! The way you tie your bandana is really cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dress :) the bandana looks cute in your hair as well X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love all those colours!! I can't wear yellow, I'm pretty scared of it.. I'm trying to perfect tying a bandanna like you too, it's lush!

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous post. LOVE it. Following your blog now!!

    XO, Liza
    fashion over groceries

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a gorgeous and fabulous gal. I am really digging your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...