Tuesday 20 December 2011

Christmas Flower Class


I'm off work today with a raging sore throat and chesty cough, which has left me with only a croak of a voice. I'm feeling sorry for myself but I'm sure Mr G is enjoying the peace and quiet. I'm sat at the computer nursing my 3rd cup of tea and swigging from a bottle of glycerin honey and lemon. In an attempt to cheer myself up, I've decided to post some photos of my first foray into floristry...


On Thursday evening I toddled along to Roots and Fruits Flower Shop (a well-known and well-loved Glasgow institution) for florist Di's Christmas Class. I'd been looking forward to it for weeks and Di didn't disappoint. I was welcomed with a glass of Prosecco and mountains of Ferrero Rocher - Christmas is definitely coming! After a lovely chat we got to work on our table displays...


We learned how to bend hosta leaves and willow before adding the finishing touches - beautiful white roses and orchids (I can't remember the variety - bad Lisa!)


After another one (or 2!) glasses of bubbly, we moved on to our door wreaths. Di showed us a few 'tricks of the trade' (no, I'm not telling!) as we nestled red apples, cinnamon sticks, pine cones, dried green chrysanthemums, walnuts and dried apple amongst the fir. It looked and smelled good enough to eat!



The wreath is now proudly displayed on our front door and (after I've freshened up the roses) the table display will travel to Largs with me for Christmas day.
I start my Flower Arranging taster course in just over a month. *excited*

4 comments:

  1. these are brilliant! love the wreath, i can just imagine how good it smells :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good looks crazy beautiful love. by the by hope you get better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, pretty, and so christmassy! id love to do a course like that..
    feel better soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are so pretty, good job! I've always loved flowers and arranging, I wish local florists offered courses. There is only so much you can learn from books (I have a few contemporary books & a lovely little collection of some fantastic vintage flower arranging books) and it'd be nice to get my hands into different materials and play! You'll have to be sure to keep us updated when you start your course, best of luck! Happy Holidays!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...